[NTLK] Error -10059 with ATA driver on immediate reinsert - Can't erase card!

From: Jim Witte (jswitte_at_bloomington.in.us)
Date: Wed Apr 17 2002 - 19:04:43 EDT

   I just got my smart media adapter in the mail and tried out the ATA
Driver. I love it! Can't wait for a final over 4 MB version (and the
APIs).

   I did few problems I noticed, which may be known bugs. One, if the
card is for forcible ejected the machine restarts, instead of putting up
the "grip of death" box like a linear card. Second, I managed to get
DragonHack2 on the SM store somehow, and it complained it didn't want to
work from their (I assume it's one of those that needs to be on
internal). When I try to move it back to internal, it gives me a -10606
(Object not found) error. Even if I freeze it first (which works), it
still won't move. I could delete it though..

   Third, I somehow got UnlimitedFolders on the store (which I thought I
had moved back to Internal, but apparently not). When I tried to
unmount the card, it said the system needed to be restarted to remove
UFolder, but I could physically eject the card, so I did, and the Newton
didn't restart. So it hit the reset switch, then reinserted the card.
Now it gives me a -10059 error, and I can't even erase the card. I
guess I'll take it to a PCMCIA equipped Mac and wipe it their (I think
it was initialized as a DOS partition when I got it - I think the card
slip said C:/ when I first inserted it - Will the driver currently
recognize the names of FAT partitions, even if it can't write/read to
them?)

   The first error I was getting was if I unmounted a card, physically
ejected it, and then immidiately reinserted it. It gave me a -10059
error then too, but if I ejected and reinserted it again, it would mount
fine.

   It also gave me a -48221 error at one point, I think when I was trying
to move UnlimitedFolders around, but I can't reproduce it now (for
obvious reasons..)

Great Work, Paul, (You should be careful, we might start calling you
"Paul the Great..")
Jim