Re: [NTLK] Wireless/Cellular modem recommendations in USA?

From: Peter Cameron (pdwc_at_sympatico.ca)
Date: Thu Apr 18 2002 - 18:05:13 EDT

John Goggan <jgoggan_at_dcg.com> wrote:

> I'd like to be able to use my Newt with SimpleMail while
> I am there.

   I use an analog phone (Motorola DPC650e) and a Motorola Power 144 modem for wireless. I put together this setup particularly for use with the Newton. Analog generally has much better coverage and the Motorola brick phone is more powerful than most of the analog/digital phones on the market (longer range).
   The Power 144 was made to go with that phone and the phone can be programmed to talk to the Motorola modem for maximum throughput under pretty bad conditions.
   I've had no trouble making connections with this setup even in some pretty remote places.
   It is antiquated technology, but it works.

Peter