Re: [NTLK] beware of fakes: was: Best PDA Stylus/Pen

From: Philip Katz (pkatt_at_mac.com)
Date: Fri Apr 19 2002 - 16:42:02 EDT

On 4/19/02 3:35 PM, "hal9000x" <hal9000x_at_mac.com> wrote:

> I doubt it is the same one. Although I could be wrong. Art Brown pen
> shop did tell me that all 'authentic' Rotring pens are 'made in
> Germany'. I know that, for example' Mont Blanc Pens has a problem with
> counterfeit pens which is well known. A friend of mine just 'bought'
> what he thought was a real Mont Blanc pen in the US Virgin Islands. He
> paid $100 less than here in NY. He stopped into the Mont Blanc store in
> NYC on my suggestion and they told him it was a fake. Way to tell real
> from fake Mont Blanc; real has tiny engraved serial number on clip
> ring - fakes do not. I think you get what you pay for. Another piece of
> info: Sanford, which owns Rotring, told me that most on line only
> retailers are not authorized dealers. Particularly WorldPen.com and
> others. So be careful and shop wisely
> On Thursday, April 18, 2002, at 11:00 PM, Philip Katz wrote:
>
>> Is this that same Quattro pen that someone got for $35 @ Costco and is
>> $35
>> at Stylus Central? I like that pen, but I would never pay $60. $35 is
>> acceptable though, if it has all these things.

Oh. Well, has anyone bought from one of these places that has them for $35
and knows for sure it is authentic? I don't really care if it is authentic.
I just care the darn thing works. I would NEVER buy a $60 pen. So if that
is what I have to do to get quality, I think I'll keep switching from pen to
stylus.