Re: [NTLK] Taking notes on Newton

From: Jesse Garnier (jgarnier_at_mac.com)
Date: Sun Apr 21 2002 - 17:08:02 EDT

Stephen Swift (aka Burnum) wrote not long ago (4/21/02 4:44 PM):

> I have a MP 120 and really am disappointed at it's handwriting recognition.
> I believe it's Newton OS 2.0. I can write much faster with pen/paper and I
> can only get 90% accuracy. My problem is my scrawl is a cross between prin=
> and cursive. My letters looks like printed letters but I rarely pick up th=
> pen and the Newton gets confused when I select "printing" but if I choose
> cursive, it really has trouble interpreting the letters. Does anyone have
> any tips? Or should I just upgrade to a MP 2100?

A 2100 would be much, much better, but even it can't work miracles.

I don't use HWR for most of my notes because *I* can barely go back and read
what I wrote, yet alone expect my Newt to be able to translate them.

A good rule of thumb is that to expect good HWR, write as though you're
writing for someone else to read.

If I follow that rule, for instance when I compose e-mail, I can still print
briskly and reach near-perfect recognition. (Most problems are with caps/no
caps and apostrophes. Darn 'em.)

--Jesse