Re: [NTLK] OT - Off Topic - Re: Safety

From: Brian (bmcewen_at_comcast.net)
Date: Mon Apr 22 2002 - 09:27:43 EDT

>> you shouldn't confuse correlation with causality.

>That's what people say when they don't agree with the statistics. ;-) If
>they were in their favor, they would be declaring the cause-effect
>relationship. When they aren't, they call foul, and say the above. Don't
>feel bad, we all do it. ;-)

People with even a modicum of education and training can distinguish the
difference, and it does exist (between correlation and causality, I don't
care about the gun argument here).

Those who cannot distinguish the difference, well it doesn't mean they are
correct due to their ignorance.

And no, everyone does not "all do it"! You can indulge in fallacies and
inconsistencies if you like but don't include others by inference as part
of that group.... :)

Brian