Re: [NTLK] OT - Off Topic - Re: Safety

From: Bradford Schmidt (brad_at_bradfordschmidt.com)
Date: Mon Apr 22 2002 - 16:43:54 EDT

On 4/23/2002 at 3:52 AM aaron tester said:
.

>as somebody else just posted - crime rates involve much more than one
>variable (gun-control) and to suggest otherwise is nonsensical. bradford
>suggested a recent rise in crime in australia was the direct result of new
>gun control laws - and i disagree. it's a radical oversimplification of
>the situation and a bit of a sound-bite statistic.

---------To Which I Say---------

Ack - I said I didn't want to do this on list. But in point of fact, I
didn't say that. I did point out that crime has gone up since guns were
outlawed, both in Britain and Australia and mentioned that "if you want to
know how gun control has affected you you might want to know this..." as in
there are facts out there that you might want to know if you are really
interested in the debate. Whether or not you see causality, I don't think
that they ought be conveniently ignored.

Which by the way points out another thing: if you are going to say that
you there is no causality between more guns/less crime, than you need to
embrace the opposite, which would be no causality beween less guns/more
crime. Can't have it both ways.

As for the points about education, etc - my point had nothing to do with
the underlying reasons people commit crime, rather it had to do with the
right to own a gun and the effect on preventing crime. Different topic.

Bradford Schmidt
Bradford Schmidt IMC
http://www.bsimc.com
845-708-9082