Re: [NTLK] Cursive vs. Printing HWR

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Apr 22 2002 - 18:02:17 EDT

Yes it does for some reason. The Newton was frequently
recognizing my "N" as a little "N". When I went into
the recognizer and told it to never recognize a
"little N" as n (that's a small capital "N" as a
smaller "N") it stopped. Now whenever I use the
up-down-up stroke for an "N", it's always recognized
as a capital "N" (and my lower case 'n' is recognized
as well) The trick here is to not give the Newton too
many choices. Have only two choices per letter. one
for "always" and one for "seldom". All other choices
should be on "Never". Most of the times, you should
only have a single choice. This really helped out the
recognition!
Ed
web/gadget guru
http://npds.tek-ed.com (my NPDS server and it's new
subdomain)

--- Jesse Garnier <jgarnier_at_mac.com> wrote:

> Ed Kummel wrote not long ago (4/22/02 5:36 PM):
>
> > 3) Open up the Notes and set the preferences to
> Cursive. Then tap the Options
> > button and select "Letter Shapes" From here, go
> through the entire alphabet
> > and select those letters that more accuratly
> reflect the way you write the
> > character. Make sure that if there is a character
> that you don't write a
> > certain way the Newt shows, that you say "Never"
> for that character! When
> > you're done, go ahead and set the recognition back
> to Printing.
>
> Does this really work? I.E., does adjusting the
> cursive recognizer settings
> affect the print recognizer? I thought they were
> totally separate...
>
> --Jesse

=====
- Arthur C. Clarke -