Re: [NTLK] ABS and stopping OT,

From: Joel M. Sciamma (joelsciamma_at_compuserve.com)
Date: Tue Apr 23 2002 - 11:52:19 EDT

Bradford,

>> And I thought the left foot was only for the clutch. :-) I was taught to
>> never use the left foot for the brake.
>
> ---------To Which I Say---------
>
> I know a whole bunch of people who would rebut that - mostly with names
> like Schumacher and Villeneuve. :-)

Yea to that. Rally drivers use this technique routinely too.

ABS was used in German DTM racing and drivers became totally dependent on it
with the result that ABS failures were resulting in some serious accidents.

In formula 1 I think everyone has agreed that braking deeply on the limit is
one of those skills that should be preserved.

For those who feel that road car technology is catching racers, remember
that 2002 Grand Prix cars can actually manage deceleration of 5G without ABS
while the best a good road car can manage is just over 1G with (or without)
it. Not only that but F1 cars can do it lap after lap - amazing performance.

Drivers testing an F1 car for the first time always say the brakes are the
most impressive change from lower formulae. One memorably described it as
more like hitting a concrete wall than anything like braking in other
vehicles.

The basic point of ABS is that you can steer while also braking hard and
this is to be praised.

However, I'm not a fan of ABS on road cars because it often spoils the brake
feel and recent vehicles are setting a very early threshold for triggering
the ABS which is extremely annoying in damp conditions. Braking is an art
and ABS, as currently implemented, is diluting it. Over-servoed pedals are
an absolute pox which has stopped me buying a few cars.

Ditto traction control and automatic stability control. All these toys
render already rubbery and distant chassis even more remote and beyond the
drivers full control. They add weight, purchase cost, increase maintenance
costs and are one more thing to go wrong.

Joel.