Re: [NTLK] ABS and stopping OT,

From: scOtty teCHnoir (ticknor_at_punkass.com)
Date: Sun Apr 21 2002 - 14:13:56 EDT

ABS is a great thing, especially in winter, rain, etc.
But standard [let's say disc brakes, no ABS] will stop you sooner that
those with ABS, *IF* you know how to use them ;) why do race cars not
have ABS? because professional drivers know how to modulate their
braking properly, employing what is commonly referred to as 'threshold
braking' where maximum force is applied to the brakes while still not
quite 'locking them up' [which increases stopping distance and detracts
from handling considerably ;)]. The advantage standard brakes have when
modulated properly is that they are not losing miniscule amounts of
braking force every second, as they do with an ABS system.

Just $0.02
scOtty teCHnoir

People'