[NTLK]

From: Michael_Guzzo/Harmac_at_harmac.com
Date: Tue Apr 23 2002 - 16:38:28 EDT

Hendrik Lipka <hendrik.lipka_at_gmx.de> wrote:

>With my Audi A3, 1.8L, 125hp, I can go 220km/h - and this is not the hp
limit,
>but I hit the rpm limiter at this speed... This would be about 140 mph.

My source puts the top speed of the Audi A3 at 214 kph (132 mph). This is
for the 150hp (110 kW) turbo 1.8L. The fuel economy is not that great
either (8.9L/100 km) (26.5 miles/gal).
(
http://www.audi.com/com/en/company/news/press-releases/news_search/article_display.jsp?News=61686)

When you say you hit the RPM limiter, do you mean the engine controller
stops you from accelerating, i.e. by cutting timing or fuel flow? Most
modern engine PCMs have an electronic rev limiter to keep the engine from
physically over-revving at high RPM (kill spark and fuel) as well as
electronically controlled top speed limiters (i.e. pull timing or fuel as
needed to stop accelerating). There are chips and such available to defeat
this.

At any rate, 220 kph (136 mph) != 260 kph (160 mph). I've not found any
credible references to a production automobile with 125 hp that will go 160
mph. If someone can point to a published source I would appreciate it.

>And yes, we have tires which can stand this speed - we are required to
have.
>Currently, I have winter tires, and they are limited to 190km/h :( I
will
>change them on the next weekend, so I'm back to full speed. I love
Germany for
>its streets...

I never said that high speed tires were not available. On the contrary,
high speed tires were developed out of necessity for the well designed high
speed roadways that cross Europe. I said that if you were going to drive at
160 mph you better have the right tires. My 3.8L GTP is speed limited to
126 mph because the OEM tires were H rated.

Michael Guzzo