[NTLK] Power Back (was: Re: Newton-Underground)

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_mac.com)
Date: Sat Apr 27 2002 - 02:47:13 EDT

on 4/26/02 10:01 PM, Robert Benschop at rbenschop_at_mac.com wrote:

> Can you post it on Unna, as far as I know it isn't there (or am I wrong ?)

Well, it's just one build of the backdrop. I don't know how much of general
interest it would be, as it's not customizable at all. I can describe it,
however, to judge interest. :-)

At the very top, it has the static text, "This Newt belongs to..."

Underneath, on the left, is a diamond popup, showing on two lines, the
current owner and work site. You can, of course change both from the popup.

Under that is a three line notes area. I like to put pithy sayings in there,
and it's useful for writing phrases for assist.

Under the notes, on the right-hand side, is my current address and phone
number. Tapping the phone number opens up a call slip.

Directly under those is the current month's calendar. Tapping on a day takes
you to that date's entry in the built-in Dates app. Unfortunately, there is
no mechanism for navigating to different months via this calendar.

Directly under the calendar is a line that shows the next meeting, both the
text and the date and time. Of course, tapping on this opens up that date in
the calendar, and the meeting's slip.

Under that is the time. Tapping on that opens the clock app. (Pretty lame. I
prefer Avi's which allows you to choose what app to open, letting me use
Adam Tow's Alarm Clock)

Under the clock is the battery status.

Under that is the volume indicator and control. Unfortunately, on the 2k
series, it doesn't give you the full control you may be used to. It only
allows the original four levels.

Below this is the heap status. Tapping this does a garbage collection. I
once had a build that would automatically do GC but it slowed down my 120
too much. I wonder if it would do that on my 2100... I might have it on a
floppy somewhere, but I can't be sure.

Under the heap status is display for your various stores, that shows the
free space on each. If you have a card or two installed, then tapping this
line will toggle back and forth between the stores, changing the default
store. In my book, this is one of the most convenient features of PowerBack.
Avi's doesn't have this feature, for instance.

Down below, on the status bar, there is an Apps popup button. It displays
all the installed apps, but above that, has an option for sleep, and new
note. Below that, there are several built-in apps for quick selections:
Calculator, calls, card, clock, Dock, Formulas, I/O Box, Notepad, Owner
Info, Setup, Styles, Time Zones. Below that are all the rest of the apps, in
alphabetical order. On my Newt, the list is rather long. :-) Thankfully, the
screen is large. :-)

What it doesn't have? Pictures. You can't add any pictures. There was an
option, but I decided not to install any. After playing with Avi's, I think
I'm glad I didn't. I would get bored only being able to have the one pict.
:-)

Overall, it's not that handsome, but it is functional. :-) I've used it for
years (since 95 or 96??) and have been perfectly happy with it. :-)

I must confess, however, that I'm currently enjoying Avi's Backdrop. :-) I
don't know if I will stick with it or not, but I am enjoying the change for
now. :-)

So, any interest in this "blast from the past"? :-)

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland