Re: [NTLK] BackTalk doesn't seem to do what I want it to

From: Laurent Daudelin (nemesys_at_cox.rr.com)
Date: Sat Apr 27 2002 - 11:41:25 EDT

on 27/04/02 09:46, Karel Jansens at kareljansens_at_tiscalinet.be wrote:

> Most of you already know my sordid secret: I have a Newton _and_ a Palm
> IIIc (actually, I had the Palm first, I only discovered that Newtons still
> existed last summer). Althought the usage of my Palm has decreased since I
> got my Newt, it still has some convenience left. One of them is that it
> fits in my pocket.
>
> So I figured I could keep the Palm as a handy organiser and sync it with
> my Newt regularly. And Halelujah! we have BackTalk, which does exactly
> that.
>
> Or so I thought...
>
> It appears that BackTalk will only sync date appointments from the Newt
> towards the Palm, although Names and Notes go the other way.
>
> Bummer...
>
> Thinking about it, and unless there is some technical reason for
> appointments only going the wrong way, this sounds to me like a very
> stupid decision. Isn't it logical that the Palm would be in one's pocket
> all the time, and therefore be the device on which new dates would most
> likely be entered? Wouldn't notes and names be more likely to come from
> the Newt (which is a _lot_ easier for entering information!)?

Actually, BackTalk was never for synchronization, IIRC. It only helps you
beam information to and from your Newton to and from a Palm. You should be
able to transfer notes and names. If that doesn't work, check the latest
version on SmartDog site to see if you have the latest.

For synchronization, I think people had more success using Palm Organizer.
You first have to synch your Newton to it, then you can hotsynch your Palm.
Or something like that.

-Laurent.

dinosaur n.: 1. Any hardware requiring raised flooring and special power. Used especially of old minis and mainframes, in contrast with newer microprocessor-based machines. In a famous quote from the 1988 Unix EXPO, Bill Joy compared the liquid-cooled mainframe in the massive IBM display with a grazing dinosaur "with a truck outside pumping its bodily fluids through it". IBM was not amused. Compare big iron; see also mainframe. 2. [IBM] A very conservative user; a zipperhead.