Re: [NTLK] Newton battery questions

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Apr 29 2002 - 16:30:05 EDT

You might want to keep an eye on your battery
discharge times. If it seems that your battery isn't
lasting as long as you think it should, then perhaps
you need to condition it. This entails draining the
battery completly dead, then fully charging it, and
repeating for a total of 3 cycles. Once you do this,
the battery should function as close to new as
possible. If it doesn't help, then your battery is
probably close to the end of it's days.
The 2x00 doesn't have a backup battery. And if you
pull all power out of your Newton, several buroughs in
New York will be without power for several hours ;-P
No...nothing will happen to your data! honestly! And
here is something else...if you pull the backup
battery out of a 120, and take the main batteries out,
nothing will happen to your data either! The Newt has
non-volatile memory! It will hold it indefinatly! Just
as a test, I fired up my original 120 and it has
everything I put there when I shelved it 3-4 years
ago!
Ed
web/gadget guru
http://npds.tek-ed.com (my NPDS server and it's new
subdomain)

--- Michael Mays <chaosmonk_at_earthlink.net> wrote:

> And this, years before Palm put quick-charge
> batteries in their PDAs.
> I'm very, very impressed. :D I no longer refer to
> my Newton as a
> PDA...it's now a "palmtop computer" whereas
> everything else is just a
> PDA. :)
>
> One more question I've thought up. Does the 2x00
> have a backup battery
> like the 1x0 series? And if so, how do I replace
> this? And if not, what
> happens if I pull the battery out... do I lose any
> of my data?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Michael Mays

=====