Re: [NTLK] [OT] eMac Pricing...

From: Lou Forlini (lforlini_at_sspi-software.com)
Date: Tue Apr 30 2002 - 16:56:06 EDT

At 12:31 PM -0700 4/30/02, Ed Kummel wrote:
>My question is how can Apple in good conscience charge
>$270 for an additional 256mb RAM? That's highway
>robbery! I can pick up a 256mb stick of RAM for my PC
>(granted, it's not a Mac) for under $60 each! (ok,
>they also include a stand..big whoop). BTW, the prices
>for this is entirely out of order...I can pickup a
>Sony branded trinitron 17" monitor brand new for $170.
>Way, way too expensive for any school I have ever seen
>and I live in one of the most expensive counties in
>the United States!
>Look at what Dell is offering for the Education
>market! And under $600 w/free shipping...

Ed,

    I wish you would at least do some basic research before you start
your usual round of anti-Apple rhetoric. Bumping an eMac up from the
base 128MB of RAM up to 384MB is $137, for a low-end Dell it was
$126.74. Wow, that is so far out of line. Whoosh, oh that was the
sound of Ed's credibility.

    BTW, I looked at your Dell $599 deal. It comes with 128MB and you
can't even add memory to it. And your Dells are crap, period. My
son's school believed the kind of nonsense that you are spouting and
bought a lab full of them 2 years ago, what a load of wasted silicon.
On any given day a third of the machines have problems, 2 or 3 are
completely out of service. The computer instructor has forbidden the
students to take their work home on floppy disks because the entire
network was infected by a virus last fall, and they still haven't
been able to get rid of it all. My son has learned one valuable
habit from working on Windows machines, back up early and often.

    Why you insist on continual Apple-bashing on a list devoted to an
Apple product I'll never know. But it has grown very tiresome.

    Regards,

    - Lou Forlini
      Software Engineer
      System Support Products, Inc.