[NTLK] [OT] FTTH 2...

From: Sushi (Sushi_at_ragingbull.com)
Date: Thu Aug 01 2002 - 11:38:44 EDT

Hi everyone!

Sorry to not answer everyone's questions sooner, but am heavily involved
with support to a bunch (g) of ships of all things...

Anyhow, more info on FTTH...

I asked my friend how much it costs.

Installation cost was $300.

There is a little converter box about the size of a Newt 2K folded in
half. On one side is the Fiber Cable input. On the other side is
Ethernet. The box requires power adapter.

Reference DL'ing files, I am used to reading Kilo bytes per second (KBps)
or Kilo bits per second (Kbps) using what I have at home and work.

When I DL'ed the Mac OS 9.2.1 update (83MB) from the Apple server, I saw
from a low of 7 point something MBps, to a high of 14.5 MBps.

That's a high of 14.5 Million Bytes per second! Peak performance mind
you, but simply awesome.

Average was about 9 MBps (or 72Mbps) for the 4 DL tests that I did.

At this average rate, you could DL a CD (650MB) in 72-73 seconds.

At 12.5 MBps (advertised rate I believe), it would take less than a
minute to DL a CD.

Of course you are probably wondering what the monthly cost would be for
this wonderful service...

I was just thinking, with MPEG-4, I believe a 2 hour movie would take
only 1 GB. You could easily DL the movie in under 2 minutes. Sweet.

As for coverage, this is really weird.

Basically it is in the Tokyo area.

The Yamanote Line circles Tokyo city proper if you will. There is a big
difference being on the inside vice outside of the line. Generally being
on the inside is better.

However, in this case my friend who has FTTH lives outside the Yamanote
Line while another friend who lives inside the Yamanote Line can't get
it. Go figure.

As for the cost...

...are you sitting down?

I believe that it costs him about 3,000 yen per month. That would be
about $25 at 120 yen to the $.

Cheaper than many Cable and ADSL/DSL plans that I've seen.

While I say believe, he has yet to receive his first bill -- just got the
service. But that is what he thinks it will be. Just saw where my ADSL
provider is advertising 100Mbps service for 3,000 so I am sure that it is
close to that.

Well, I hope that answers your questions.

Sushi