Re: [NTLK] Touch Screen cable problem

From: Joel M. Sciamma (joelsciamma_at_compuserve.com)
Date: Mon Aug 05 2002 - 09:57:46 EDT

Bernie,

> I have a friends MP2000 apart looking for the cause of a non-responsive
> touch screen. I finally found the problem. The foil ribbon cable with
> the 4 contacts has a break half way through the ribbon cutting 2 of the
> foil traces.

Probably the only approach is to solder across the broken traces with a
fine, flexible stranded wire once you have carefully scraped off the clear
outer coating with a scalpel to reveal the traces. Low temperature solder
can be helpful here as it has better wetting of the surfaces and needs
slightly less heat, protecting the cable. A tiny dab of solder flux can also
help to make good joint in these difficult conditions.

Once the repair is complete you will need to insulate it with some tape.

A possible alternative is to take new, insulated wires to each end of the
connectors for the two broken traces and solder them to the board itself -
if you can gain access to those points - I haven't looked on an MP to see if
this is actually possible.

A replacement cable from a non-functioning MP might be the easier route if
someone on the list has one available.

Joel.