Re: [NTLK] GPS and the Newton

From: Johannes Wolf (mp2100_at_mail-gw.estec.esa.nl)
Date: Mon Aug 05 2002 - 11:26:33 EDT

Any GPS receiver or device equipped with a serial interface should work with
the Newt. Also a few PCMCIA cards do work with the Newt, if they simulate a
serial interface.
But you should really start with the application you want to use, and there
are only two I know:
Fieldworker <http://icss.agron.iastate.edu/gis/FieldWorker.html>
(I have not seen or tested it) and
GPS Map. http://www.soaring.de/gps/News_e.html
The latter has a lite version (free) and there is the possibility to create
your own maps, which is also very important.

I have got a Garmin GPS mouse, which works perfectly with the Newt.
You may also consider to buy an Etrex or a Garmin GPS12 (or similar), they
can be used standalone as well as together with the Newt via serial
interface (and of course with any other PC, like the GPS Mouse, if you have
the right software).
I have tested the GPS12 successfully and the Etrex shall behave similar.

There are some cool links to Newton GPS info at This Old Newt.

Regards
Johannes