[NTLK] Jabber and Newton - a HOW-TO

From: Simon Roberts (srob_at_mac.com)
Date: Thu Aug 08 2002 - 12:21:09 EDT

Hi,

I noticed a few comments from people trying to get Jabber working, I've
recently been investigating this myself so I thought that I would pass on my
experiences in the form of a simple HOW-TO.

1. Find a server

If you want to communicate with contacts on ICQ, Yahoo, MSN or AIM, you need
to find a server which has the appropriate "transport" active. Jabber.com
and jabber.org, probably the most well known servers, don't offer a full
range of transports. Look on http://www.jabberview.com. I'm using jabber.cz
and it is working for me with both AIM and MSN contacts.

2. Decide on your client

There seem to be two. NewtJab (http://newton.guhl.net/newton/newtjabber/)
and Newton IM (http://www.allaboutjake.com/newton/newtonIM.htm). NewtJab is
slow and just doesn't work well enough to be useful to me (e.g. Loading the
roster seems to hang often). Newton IM is fast and elegant but not quite
finished. I recommend the latter for now.

NewtJab is provided with source code so there is plenty of scope for someone
to improve it.

3. Install a client on your Mac or Windows machine

You need a full-featured client on your Windows or Mac machine to setup your
contacts.

For Mac OS X, go for TVJab (http://www.terravirtual.net/tvjab/). JabberFox,
the best known pure Jabber client for Mac OS X, does not yet have the
necessary functionality.

For Windows I use Jabber Inc's standard windows client as found on
http://www.jabber.com.

4. Create an account

Create yourself an account using your Mac or Windows client.

5. Register the transports that you need

Use the Mac or Windows client to add the transports that you need to your
roster (like a buddy list). This is where you tell the Jabber server what
the username and password for each of the external IM systems that you want
to us is. The menu items for doing this on the Windows client and Tvjab are
reasonably clear.

6. Add your contacts

Contacts should be automatically imported from AIM or MSN. If you need to
add additional contacts, do so using the Mac or Windows client. The Windows
client guides you through this by allowing you to select the service. With
Tvjab on the Mac, you need to enter a contact with the form:

    <screen_name>@aim.<jabber_server> e.g. Screen_name_at_aim.jabber.cz

for AIM contacts, and:

    <user>%<domain>@msn.<jabber_server> e.g. User%hotmail.com_at_msn.jabber.cz

for MSN contacts.

7. Start up Newton IM

Once connected, it should automatically download the contacts that you have
previously setup into its roster.

If you get it working, try sending me a jabber message at srob_at_jabber.cz and
come back to me with any questions.

Regards,

Simon