[NTLK] eMate backlight & ribbon cable

From: Kennedy, David (David.Kennedy_at_noie.gov.au)
Date: Thu Aug 08 2002 - 23:41:03 EDT

I recently bought an eMate with screen problems, opened it up and found the
dreaded "spring-stuck-through-the-ribbon-cable" problem.

After I screwed the spring back into place and re-assembled the eMate, the
screen was worse than before, probably because I broke a couple more tracks
disentangling the cable from the spring. I'm not really that upset - it was
almost unusable anyway. I'm praying hard that David Humphreys can afford to
make those cloned ribbon cables he's been talking about.

Anyway, the backlight was working before I opened the case, and now it is
not. Could broken tracks on the ribbon cable account for this problem? Or
have I done some other damage?

David Kennedy
Melbourne Australia

The information transmitted is for the use of the intended recipient only
and may contain confidential and/or legally privileged material. Any
review, re-transmission, disclosure, dissemination or other use of, or
entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited and may result in
severe penalties. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify
the Security Adviser of the Department of Communications, Information
Technology and the Arts, telephone (02) 6271-1880 and delete all copies of
this transmission together with any attachments.