[NTLK] Ideas on a Newton Replacement OS

From: Aaron Jon Reichow (reichowa_at_tcfreenet.org)
Date: Tue Aug 13 2002 - 23:42:12 EDT

Hello all!

** This is just barely off-topic. If you're are easily offended by **
** by anything that isn't 100% Newton, please skip this message. :) **

I've been a Newton user for 4 years or so. It's been a great ride, but due
to financial pressures combined with my personal usage patterns, I told my
Newton 2100u to someone on this list. For one, I'm very glad I sold it to
the woman I did rather than eBaying it. :)

For the last year or two, I've been pondering about what I want out of a
PDA and a computing environment in general. To date, Newton OS 2.1 is
about the closest thing I've found to what I imagine to be the perfect
computing environment for me. It falls short in a few areas, so for the
last few months, I've been working on Dynapad [1], which aims to be the
perfect computing environment for me, yet flexible and dynamic enough that
it can be molded into whatever any end-user feels is perfect for her.

This project isn't like GNUton, a clone/emulation of the Newton OS, nor is
it aiming to have the same aesthetic (however, that is planned, but down
the line).

Toward this end, I'd like to get input from developers about what they
don't like about the Newton OS. From developers, especially information
about what they don't like about the Soup API, as I plan on having a
similar method of storing data (files suck).

Down the line, I'll be interested in what users want out of a truly
personal and dynamic PDA, but right now it's all about getting a solid
foundation. However, feel free to email me about it, I'll stash it away
and look at it later.

[1] You can read about the current state of Dynapad (including
screenshots) at <http://dynapad.swiki.net/1>. It's far from done, and so
far is mostly just the bootstrap to the 'real' Dynapad, moving toward a
system where I'll be able to actually write Dynapad completely on a PDA,
with no need for a desktop.

Regards,
Aaron

Aaron Reichow :: Twin Ports ACM VP :: http://www.d.umn.edu/~reic0024/
"The profit system follows the path of least resistance and following the
path of least resistance is what makes a river crooked." -U. Utah Phillips