Re: [NTLK] Armistice card

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Mon Aug 19 2002 - 01:00:09 EDT

Frank Gründel:
>I have recently read that Apple had a hardware card called
>"Armistice" or something
>which they used to test their Newton software without a
>Newton. I'd expect this must
>have been a NuBus card.

Indeed.

All I know about this card can be found in the Hammer/Newtsbug
debugger manuals (Newtsbug's manual is obviously derived from the
Hammer's manual like Newtsbug is obviously a light version of Hammer).

They used Hammer to program the Armistice card (i.e. to download the
ROM). I even suspect that Hammer was used as well to program some ROM
board they have at Apple that can be programmed (i.e. with Flash, the
ROM connector has a R/W line). I sometime get weird messages from
Hammer that are remains of the Armistice part (like: "Bad news, we've
stopped in UND mode").

Apparently, third party developers could get the armistice card (I
think I read something like that in the DDK introduction guide).

However, I've never seen that card or a computer equiped with it.

Paul

--
Home page: http://www.kallisys.com/
Newton-powered WebServer: http://newton.kallisys.net:8080/