Re: [NTLK] Battery consumption

From: Johannes Wolf (mp2100_at_mail-gw.estec.esa.nl)
Date: Thu Aug 22 2002 - 02:00:50 EDT

Hi Pascal,

if you mean the rechargeable battery pack - then this is a sign that your
battery pack is getting old and has less capacity.
This process is strongly dependent on how you treat the batteries.
To be sure that this is the reason you only need to watch the current with
the battery monitor during battery operation: it shall be less than
70/100mA, depending if you use the backlight or not.

As been discussed before, performing a complete discharge/charge cycle once
or twice (reformatting) may help.
You can also try to cool the battery pack down before charging it.

You should watch the temperature during charging, the charging current and
the duration of the fast charging process before the Newt switches to
trickle charging.
A tool I can recommend is BattTrax.
If the batteries are getting hot very fast, they cannot take the complete
charge - cooling them down will probably help.
If everything is ok, the charging current with the original adapter shall be
in the range of 1100 - 1200 mA at the beginning of the fast charging mode,
decreasing with increasing charge.

HTH

Johannes