[NTLK] Battery/Adapter Issues

From: Ethan Clark (eclark_at_mac.com)
Date: Fri Aug 23 2002 - 15:41:04 EDT

I have an upgraded 2000 that I just bought on eBay that seems (to me) to be behaving strangely. I have yet to be able to charge a set of Ni-MH batteries in it. While the MessagePad is plugged into the power adapter, it says it's charging, but nothing seems to happen with the batteries. Dashboad's battery monitor says "???" under Charge Status, and when I remove the battery pack, it says it's running from the adapter, but displays "Alkaline" as the battery type, and "Discharging" under Charge status.

Having just recieved the unit a couple of days ago, I'm not sure what the problem is, or if it's even with the newton itself. Should I just buy a new battery pack and/or external charger? Is my unit just damaged?

Also, the unit used to run from batteries just fine, until the pack died. Now it reports that it is charging (and the charge level goes up), but as soon as I remove the adapter plug, the Newton dies.

I am using a 6v, 800mA power adapter, just for the record. Should this be different?

Thanks,
Ethan