Re: [NTLK] Wired Newton Article Out

From: Philip Bennett (pbnt_at_mac.com)
Date: Thu Aug 29 2002 - 12:43:02 EDT

I, too, enjoyed the article (despite some inaccuracies). However the
accompanying article on the researchers doing a paper about what helps hold
the Newton community together is, well, somewhat strained. To say that one
of the major motivating, and binding, factors for the Newton community is
the constantly recurring rumor that Apple is going to revive the Newton or
come out with a new PDA, I think, misses the point. I think most of us are
supportive of each other because of this great little PDA we already have.
The researchers say that the rumors help us hold on to our Newtons as they
become "increasingly outdated". Says who? The previous article has just
stated that the Newton not only is current but is kept up to date by the
community constantly adding to and updating it. If anything, I would say the
rumors are, at best, mildly entertaining, and otherwise somewhat irritating.
But then, what do I know. I'm only using one of the best PDA's available
that is still very much "in date". [Rant off]