Re: [NTLK] Wired Newton Article Out

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Aug 29 2002 - 13:54:53 EDT

Yeah. I agree. That second paper is written from the
perspective of someone who "doesn't get it" and only
observes from the outside looking in.
It's like watching a movie with the volume turned down
and trying to figure out what is going on. (anybody
who watches "Who's line is it" is aware of the
hilarious effect this has.
But, the alternative is, I don't know the dynamics of
this community either and I've been here for a while!
I look at it like this, we each have our own agenda as
to why we want/need to use the Newt, it's just that
there happens to be a common point of intersection.
One of things I do enjoy about this group is the
extreme depth of the diversity. There are
representitives here from the eclectic to the
mundane...and that's cool (even though it sometimes
gets us in trouble with [OT] discussions)
Ed
web/gadget guru
http://npds.tek-ed.com (my NPDS server and it's new
subdomain)

--- Philip Bennett <pbnt_at_mac.com> wrote:
<snip>

> strained. To say that one
> of the major motivating, and binding, factors for
> the Newton community is
> the constantly recurring rumor that Apple is going
> to revive the Newton or
> come out with a new PDA, I think, misses the point.
> I think most of us are
> supportive of each other because of this great
> little PDA we already have.
> The researchers say that the rumors help us hold on
> to our Newtons as they
> become "increasingly outdated". Says who? The
> previous article has just
> stated that the Newton not only is current but is
> kept up to date by the
> community constantly adding to and updating it. If
> anything, I would say the
> rumors are, at best, mildly entertaining, and
> otherwise somewhat irritating.
> But then, what do I know. I'm only using one of the
> best PDA's available
> that is still very much "in date". [Rant off]

=====
"Bush, himself the most intellectually backward American president of my political lifetime, is surrounded by advisers whose bellicosity is exceeded only by their political, military and diplomatic illiteracy,"
 - Gerald Kaufman, a lawmaker from the governing British Labor Party