Re: [NTLK] The future of the Newton: A course to bring it to new places

From: Rhonda Hyslop (0x7ff00025_at_paradox.homeip.net)
Date: Mon Dec 02 2002 - 19:02:32 EST

* Mike King <mikkel_at_market-research.com> [ 2 Dec 2002 15:38]:
> Software development would I think be easier, as it is not so capital
> intensive, just look at all the Linux development that is going on. it just
> needs some enthusiasts with some time on their hands. perhaps a Linux port
> for the Newton would allow us to take advantage of that world ?

Do you mean a port of linux to the MessagePad platform, or a port of the
Newton dev kit to linux? The former I'm not that interested in, but the
latter... well, I'd like to try my hand at a few simple programs for
the newt, but I have no windows and I'm not sure if my boyfriend's
ancient mac boots anymore - haven't tried in a couple of years.

(aside: if anybody knows of a newton dev kit or newton press-alike that
runs on linux, I'd love to hear it... I'd kind of like to turn my old
class notes into newtonbooks, if that's possible.)

> Anyone else got thoughts on this subject ? Perhaps we could even create
> some Yahoo groups to discuss different aspects of this.

admin is willing. Yahoo groups are notorious for their spammage.

And if a new list @newtontalk.net is out of the question, well... I have
mailing list software set up...

-Rhonda

--
www.write-on.indy || write-on.homeip.net \/  http://history.ubcengineers.ca/
  Discuss the art and craft of writing   /\   UBC Engineers History Project