Re: [NTLK] The future of the Newton: A course to bring it to new places

From: John Anderson (dearjohn_at_everchanging.com)
Date: Mon Dec 02 2002 - 20:40:11 EST

Not sure if a direct port is the best solution, but it seems like Java
would be the best platform. Or, perhaps, base it on Gecko. The Newton
API leaves a bit to be desired, but there are lots of great things
about it. If something were developed from scratch (and it would have
to be) then it should be inspired by the Newton, not be a copy of it.
But sometimes I wonder whether the current PDA form factor with
handwriting recognition is really the way to go. The Newton HWR
technology isn't available to us. I like the iPod because you can
operate it with one hand... I wonder if we could adopt an interface
that's inspired by it. PDAs are stuck in a rut right now... in order
for a venture to be worth any investment, it must be an entirely new
device.

It needs to be something that can be operated easily with HWR or tiny
keyboards, fits in the palm of your hand, is easy to port apps to, and
scales from a simple $100 device to a full-featured $500 device.
Anything less will be washed out in a sea of Palms and Winces.

John Anderson
everchanging

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html