Re: [NTLK] Subject: Re: The future of the Newton: A course tobring it to new

From: John M. Powell (jp_at_iwillbefree.com)
Date: Tue Dec 03 2002 - 22:04:59 EST

> Well, let's go hog wild.

Hmm... bacon...

> that won't stop us from using ours until well past the
> need for the "2010 dates bug patch".

DOES Avi's patch work?

> Here's what we CAN do
> 1) At least one stock Newt exists with 11 (or 12) MB of internal RAM
> a) let's figure out how this was made
> b) have someone produce the memory board
> c) extract, copy and disseminate whatever system patch let
> it recognize the additional RAM

OH YEAH! I've actually wondered why we haven't already done that.
Fear of destroying the original? With Paul's ATA driver, we might
need the extra RAM. All this extra storage we have... more programs,
web surfing, etc. Yep. We need the extra RAM.

> 2) with that much internal RAM available, perhaps many could
> eschew use of a card slot. Populate that card slot with some
> sort of video driver card and use it to drive the new COLOR screen.

Color screen would be nice. None of the software would know what to
do with it. Might lose the relatively good ability to read the screen
in broad daylight with the current TFT displays being used. Are we still
dreaming?

> 3) Probably need some more speed. Some sort of user-installed
> accelerator, perhaps better than PixSolutions.

PCBman is working on a solution to that one. The SER-01 ROCKS.
I'll bet his accelerator will too.

> Sure #2 & #3 would suck power, but that's where a
>
> 4) new flat LiIon pack attached to the back would come in.
> Heck. With the backpack battery, the video driver project
> could use the space formerly occupied by 4 AA batteries.

Hmm...

> 5) or the space could be populated with a BlueTooth adapter
> connected to the serial port internally.

Hmm...

John Powell

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html