Re: [NTLK] NuShields... (long)

From: Robert Benschop (rbenschop_at_euronet.nl)
Date: Wed Dec 04 2002 - 03:20:49 EST

on 03-12-2002 9:47, David Orriss Jr at dave_at_davenet.net wrote:

> Amazing.. Simply and completely amazing. Words escape me to describe
> NuShields any other way. I tried one of the 'glare reducing' ones first and
> it's great.
> Glare is reduced, but visibility isn't hindered at all. And the 'feedback'
> when you write is outstanding....! WriteRights should have been this good.

I received a package of clear NuShields the other day and wanted to write an
in depth review, mostly taking my time to see what the wear and tear
resistance is like, but your enthusiasm was too contagious ;-)

I'm very impressed as well, used both the Barrier and WriteRights before,
never like the texture and the dullness of the WriteRights and likes the
Barrier a bit better because of the texture, but too foggy to my taste.

Since I understood that the first series of NuShields were very much like
the original barrier I've kept on using my, not so satisfactory, homemade
solution.

But I'm sure I'm switching back to those, I really like the clear film, the
loss of contrast of the screen is almost negligible, the only way I could
see it is by holding the NuShield halfway on the screen, before that I was
sure I didn't loose anything in clarity.

The downside of all this clarity is more reflection.
So be prepared to love thou self, because the protector acts much more like
a mirror than the bare screen, much like what I remember of the 1x0 series.
The bare screen reflects in a fuzzy way, the clear protector much more like
glass.

The writing surface is very nice, again more like I remember of the 1x0
series, since there's less friction.

The scratch resistance also seems good so far, but I won't be able to really
say something seriously about that before I've used it over an more extended
period. (had it on my Newt for a week now)

Just one word of caution before you install, the installation provided is
very good, but for the clear version you might want to use a clean cloth, an
old t-shirt or cotton gloves, due to the fact that it so clear I spent quite
a while rubbing off all my finger marks afterwards...

And I would be very curious to hear the comparison of the two types of you
David, since you bought both.

Robert Benschop

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html