Re: [NTLK] Palm negative comments (was eMate vs Alphasmart Dana)

From: Ben Wells (headwerkx_at_iprimus.com.au)
Date: Thu Dec 05 2002 - 10:01:52 EST

> The m105 makes an excellent alarm clock (with BigClock) / torch (quite
> good backlight) and runs for ever on 2 x AAA's
>
> The m515 I find I use mainly for static data-lookup (avantgo,
> addresses) /
> reading (plucker) - again it also makes a great torch ;-)

Maglite and Eveready make very good torches as well.... ;-)

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Talking about graffiti versus HWR, I was yakking to a local Mac dealer
a few days ago, and pulled out my 2100 to show him. He asked me
wouldn't using Graffiti be quicker to input text?

Certainly if HWR can understand your cursive (it struggles with my
script, but then again so do people, including myself), then the answer
is no. But printing? I know I have to print pretty carefully to have
flawless recognition; when I start rushing myself I end up doing a lot
of editing.

I've never used a Palm device long enough to figure out graffiti...
occasionally I play with a friend's m100 and spend most of my time
staring at the Graffiti hints sheet. But I could see, for some, that
Graffiti's shorthand-style alphabet COULD perhaps be a very fast - if
not particularly intuitive - way to input data.

Anyone care to share their thoughts?

Ben.

--
"Many electrons were neutralised during the transmission of this email.
The bunnies made it okay."