Re: [NTLK] Palm negative comments (was eMate vs Alphasmart Dana)

From: Harris Paltrowitz (harris.upstate_at_verizon.net)
Date: Thu Dec 05 2002 - 21:25:23 EST

>I've never used a Palm device long enough to figure out graffiti...
>occasionally I play with a friend's m100 and spend most of my time
>staring at the Graffiti hints sheet. But I could see, for some, that
>Graffiti's shorthand-style alphabet COULD perhaps be a very fast - if
>not particularly intuitive - way to input data.

>Anyone care to share their thoughts?

>Ben.

From my three-year experience with Palms I can say that graffiti *can* be
very fast and efficient for writing something quickly. Yes, when you do
have something in your head that you just want to get down fast, it is the
most efficient way to input it, aside from using a full-size keyboard.

But I've *never* liked it for "creative writing", or really any type of
writing that's something you do for fun... by this I mean something like a
journal entry, or an off-the-cuff short note to yourself, or a trip log, or
something like that. With natural handwriting recognition (such as on the
Newton or the PocketPC) I find that I write these types of things much more
often; I just don't write these types of things with graffiti -- it just
doesn't happen.

So that's it for me -- natural handwriting recognition offers the "pleasure"
of writing that graffiti just *can't* provide.

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html