[NTLK] Connecting with linux via serial - help?

From: Rhonda Hyslop (0x7ff00025_at_paradox.homeip.net)
Date: Sat Dec 14 2002 - 19:45:07 EST

I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions for what might be going
on here - or at least something I could try.

I'm trying to connect to my newton from my linux computer. I did just
fine on my old computer, using newtonlink, and so I installed newtonlink
on my new computer. I checked the serial port number and permissions;
/dev/newton is symlinked to /dev/ttyS0; the newton is plugged into the
port marked "com1" on the computer, and ttyS0 has mode 666 so I can use
it.

After a bit of fiddling, I got it to *seem* to work, but installing a
smallish package (about 12k) doesn't actually work. Or rather, from
newtonlink's point of view it successfully transfers the package, but
from my newton's point of view it doesn't. While loading the package,
sloup displays "LoadPkg ! [len(binary): nnn]" - the number "nnn"
increases quickly until it reaches 703, at which point it stops. The
package I was trying to install is then nowhere to be found on the
newton, even though newtonlink says "Package transferred". This is
consistent across three different packages that I tried to install. It
also seems to prefer 38400 over 57600 for speeds; at least, it didn't
want to even talk to the newton when both were set at 57600.

I tried making sure there was plenty of room on the internal store and
moving sloup there, in case it was just running out of room, and the
same thing happens. (There is currently about 1000k free on internal.)

It may be related, it may not, but I was installing Basilisk II on the
same computer, and after I got the permissions on ttyS0 sorted out it
seemed to be listening (on the modem port, which I mapped to ttyS0) and
told me to connect from the newton. However, when I tried to start
"dock" on the newton's end and connect via serial, it eventually timed
out and claimed that nobody was listening on the computer's end. All
the searches I've done for information on Basilisk II and its serial
port just tell me that it does a good job of emulating serial ports.
I'm using the MacOS 7.5.5 image with NCU from UNNA.

I have nothing on any serial port, not even an internal modem, apart
from the newton on com1/ttyS0 at this point. Newtonlink finds the
newton, so I know that at least is correct, but I can't figure out what
else might be preventing me from installing packages.

-Rhonda

--
www.write-on.indy || write-on.homeip.net \/  http://history.ubcengineers.ca/
  Discuss the art and craft of writing   /\   UBC Engineers History Project