[NTLK] Altering Battery trays to charge...

From: Aaron Eiche (aeiche_at_freeshell.org)
Date: Sun Dec 22 2002 - 13:14:27 EST

Hey folks,
        As previously noted in "Making Battery Trays" I'm gonna see if I can
make some battery trays to provide a lower cost option to the
'ULTRA_RARE' battery trays on eBay that sell in excess of $60. :P I say
to that.

Anyway, It was suggested to me by John Charlton that we make them
support recharging batteries while we're at it. Cool Idea, no problem.
I've seen a few pages which show how it's been done, but I need a
little background.

So this is the impression I'm under. A little piece of plastic toggles
the Newton to know whether or not the Battery is rechargeable. The
batteries heat up as energy is being pumped into them and the
Thermistor detects this. The Thermistor has a certain limit it pays
attention to, when That heat limit is hit, the Thermistor increases
it's resistance to stop allowing Power to go through the batteries.

Sounds fairly simple in practice, I wanted to check to make sure this
is the case. I'm no electrician, but my Dad is, and he can help me out
with that part I think. I can make the molds and do the casting..

Someone please correct me if this interpretation is incorrect.

thanks
-Aaron

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html