Re: [NTLK] Backlight Replacement Service

From: PCBman (pcbman_at_ix.netcom.com)
Date: Thu Dec 26 2002 - 15:03:24 EST

On Thursday, December 26, 2002, at 11:09 AM, Ferdi Ozguner wrote:

> My service is fast and I keep you updated step by step. A picture of
> an
> upgraded Newton (with white backlight) can be seen at:
> http://www.ee.ualberta.ca/~ferdi/newt.jpg or a blue backlight at:
> http://www.ee.ualberta.ca/~ferdi/Blue_Backlight.jpg.
> I now also offer YELLOW, RED, ORANGE Backlight Replacements.

The blue backlight link doesn't work and the white backlight jpg is way
overexposed leading one to believe it is brighter than it is.

Show a shot in normal daylight conditions Ferdi.

> Price: The price is 109 USD plus Shipping/Handling.
>
> Availability: Stocked with Blue, White, original Newton
> Green, Yellow, Orange, Red Backlights.

EL material is available from Beingseen Technologies.

They sell a Flatlight kit for $56.50. This is 6" wide by 9" long.
You can get two backlights out of this with some left over for
whatever you like. The price includes an inverter which you
don't need so give them a call and the price will be less
without it. It is avalable in Ice Blue, Gleaming White, Blood red,
Kickass Orange, Electric Yellow, Lightning Green.

Part # FLAT6inch

In fact, look on their website. They have a number of items that
would work and they have some good information about
cutting this material.

> Colors of Backlights: I recommend using the Blue upgrade because due
> to its
> light color it is unnoticeable until turned on at which point it
> clearly
> illuminates the Newton with a distinctive blue light. For the highest
> brightness level a blue backlight is recommended.

Funny, your white backlight jpg seems awfully bright. But then, it is
overexposed.

> Noise/Buzzing: A number of people have emailed asking whether this
> upgrade
> makes the same buzzing noise characteristic with the typical Newton
> 2000/2100. The buzzing/Noise is noticably quieter when compared with
> a green backlit
> Newton PDA.

You are so full of BS. You have done nothing to the inverter circuit in
the
Newton, yet the mere exchange of the EL backlight makes it quieter?
Please explain the physics (magic) that makes this so.

> ... but this work is not
> recommended unless you are a skilled professional and are not worried
> about
> your Newton no longer working if done incorrectly.

On this you are indeed correct. Replacement of the backlight requires
some skill. It is very
easy to damage your Newton beyond repair.

Oh, and good info on the book Betty!

Regards,

PCBman

List FAQ/Etiquette/Terms: http://www.newtontalk.net/faq.html