Re: [NTLK] newbie questions

From: James Elliott (james.elliott_at_newted.org)
Date: Sun Dec 29 2002 - 12:06:36 EST

>James:
>I have been looking over the bulletin board and you seem to know a
>whole lot more about a Newton than I. AND I have questions.
>
>I just recently bought myself (Christmas present) a Newton 2000 and
>have begun to use it. I have a 2 MB card, a USRobotics Megahertz
>28.8 PC Card/Modem (Model SJ1288) and a Dell Ethernet Card,
>10Base-T/10Base-2 by 3Com. The former owner had always used the
>Ethernet connection. I DO NOT have access to an Ethernet connection
>so I tried to use the USRobotics card to fax or access the Internet.
>But no luck, I got two error messages (different times) #48809 and
>#61001 when I tried to use NetHopper.

The 61001 means that the Newt can't find a driver it's looking for or
the card may not be seated properly. You'd better check your prefs
and see if the Newt knows which slot the card is in. 48809 I'm not
sure about.

>I have some manuals that came with the unit and read that maybe the
>unit needed to be reset. MISTAKE! That wiped out the icons for
>NetHopper and others that I can't remember that were there on the
>screen. I have ordered a serial cable to link my Newton to my PC,
>but that will take a while for the money order to get to KY and the
>cable to WI. I have also ordered from Amazon.com a book on
>programming the Newton.

How did you reset the Newt? There are a couple of different ways.

>Can you give me any insight into the world of owning a Newton 2000?
>What are the best cards to have? Best hardware to add? Best
>programs? Where can I get more programs. Where can I get some
>help? Are there any Newton groups in Wisconsin?

First of all, it's lots of fun. When you say cards, do you mean
ethernet and modem cards, or storage cards? If storage is what you
mean, Paul Guyot is working on an ATA driver
(http://www.kallisys.com/newton/ata/) that will let you use pretty
much any card out there.
If you're without an ethernet connection, an SER-001 is what I would
recommend. Unfortunately, PCBman just stopped making them. If you
need software, http://www.unna.org is the best place to go. I don't
know of any NUGs in Wisconsin, but I've a list that I try to keep up
to date here: http://www.newted.org/~jelliott/nugs.html

>I feel a bit under prepared for life after buying my Newton. I am
>42 years old, am a college graduate, took every college computer
>class that was offered during my college years, have used a HP PC
>for many years, have years of solid career experience behind me but
>am beginning to feel overwhelmed by my Newton.
>
>Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Thanks!
>Carl McGraw
>E18004 County Hwy F
>Hillsboro, WI 54634