Re: [NTLK] Connecting via AppleTalk for NCU

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Sun Dec 29 2002 - 11:09:38 EST

Chris Fava wrote:

> Hereıs my setup: I can use NCU in either Classic or when I boot from OS 9.
> I prefer to use Classic. Iıve got a 3Com ethernet card (589D) which works
> great for letting me access the internet with my Newt. (I have all the NIE
> packages). AppleTalk is enabled in Network preferences of Mac OS X. Iıve
> got a D-Link DI-604 router (donıt know if itıs AppleTalk compatible or not).
>
> Now, if I want to use AppleTalk, can I keep my Newt connected to my router?
> If so, what do I need to do next, step by step (on both Mac and Newt)?

If your router will route AppleTalk packets, then you're fine with that
connection.

> I tried both of these but neither worked. Whenever I open Dock and choose
> Connect via AppleTalk, then Connect to Other Computer, a message comes up
> saying ³Looking for Mac OS computers...² and nothing else happens.

Is your Newton configured to use AppleTalk over Ethernet? Go to Extras ->
Prefs -> AppleTalk and choose your 3c589D card.

Also make sure that AppleTalk on your Mac is set to use Ethernet as well, and
that NCU is set to listen via AppleTalk.