Re: [NTLK] midi on the newt - MODPlayer code fork

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Tue Dec 31 2002 - 21:32:18 EST

Jim Witte wrote:
> Is Roger Milne of ModPlayer fame on this list? Could MODPlayer be

I don't think Roger was ever a list member, IIRC.

> modified to provide MIDI support? Long ago, I looked into how the MOD
> file structure was organized, and as I remember a lot of it is mostly
> the same. MIDI is more complicated becuase it allows more channels (8
> or more [?] vs 4) and I think that all notes in one channel of a MOD
> file may have to be arranged together in the file (though I could be
> wrong).
>
> Is there any provision in MODPlayer for inputing you own sample data
> for instrument tones?

The whole tenent of the MOD format was that it only used sampled instruments.
  The samples had to be included in the file, and then the file contained the
"score" for four channels, including standard effects to be applied to the
samples on the fly when they were played. All this was done in hardware by
the Paula chip in the original Amiga, which is where MODs came from.

(Disclaimer: I really know nothing about the Amiga, but I have a really good
friend who does.)