Re: [NTLK] Newton & Nokia 6210

From: Johannes Wolf (jwolf_at_xe.estec.esa.nl)
Date: Tue Feb 05 2002 - 03:03:12 EST

It works great.
Unfortunately the IR connection does not work and thus you need a wire
connection.
For this connection you first need to have a phone-specific adapter-cable
which comes typically with SUB-D9 connector.
        This is very expensive if you intend to buy the original cable. I got one
for less than half the price of the original one from the german
        electronic company ELV (56,- DM).
To adapt this connector to your Newt you need a MiniDIN to SUB-D9 adapter.
        The best solution I know is from PBK solutions
http://www.pbk-solutions.de/produkte/kabel/adapter_seriell.htm
        where you also can find all info necessary to build this adapter yourself.
If you do not have SER-001 you will need the Newt dongle as well.
From the software side to go into internet you need NIE 2.0, a Browser for
the Newt and an Email program for the Newt, which you will find on Unna.
To adapt the phones built in modem I used a program modem modifier.
But you have to be aware if your phone (net) provider supports HSCSD, if
not you can connect with 9600 Bps only.

There are some other programs like NokiaNames (Unna) which transfers Names
from your Phone into the Newt via InfraRed.
Or NewtSMS from Stefan Auweiler (http:/www.team-auweiler.de) which is used
to send/download SMS to/from the phone.

Johannes