[NTLK] [ANN] ATA Support 1.0b12

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Tue Feb 05 2002 - 04:19:05 EST

Hi all,

I'm pleased to announce ATA Support 1.0b12.

I seriously need your help now. A lot of people have reported
problems with the beta 11 which seemed to be a complete failure. I
had a good rest since and beta 12 should be much more stable;
however, if any problem of beta 11 is still present, *please* report
it.

Beta 12 will expire on February, 18th. Why so soon? Because I want to
rework two things and it shouldn't take so much time (these two
things are the caches and the physical/logical sector IDs through the
various components of the software).

Once these two things will have been worked out, I will personally
serve web pages from an ATA card. I will also release a private beta
for registered users once I will have finished the partition
definition dialogs (soon).

What is ATA Support?
--------------------

ATA Support is a software to let your Newton use ATA cards for
storage. This is not an ATA driver as I can read too often here and
there. The driver itself is less than 150 KB of source code among
more than 2 MB. It is a full object database software running on ATA
cards and interfacing with the system so the system considers the
databases suitable for storage.

What's new?
-----------

* Redesigned the management of the list of transaction sectors. This
means less space used, a faster access for large transaction (like
installing a package, speed increase is hardly noticeable with Nick's
Test It).
This means a little change in the format of stores, but the software
might still be backward compatible (however, please perform a backup)
* Fixed the so-called NetHopper bug (separate transaction abortion
did not work in some cases).
* Fixed another bug in the object database (this part has probably
never been so stable)
* I might have fixed the linear-card conflict bug introduced with ATA
Support 1.0b11. (please confirm)
* I might have fixed the incompatibility with some cards introduced
with ATA Support 1.0b11. (please confirm)
* Fixed a minor bug in the interface with the list of partitions.

What's left before final release?
---------------------------------

- Get feedback on 1.0b11 bugs.
- Finish the partition dialogs.
- Work on the caches & object IDs.
- Maybe optimize transactions with the caches.

Where can I download it?

 From my website:
http://www.kallisys.com/newton/ata/

Regards,