Re: [NTLK] [OT] WaveLAN Silver PC Card Deal

From: Donald J. Ryan (DJRyan_at_bellsouth.net)
Date: Thu Feb 07 2002 - 20:55:17 EST

My $50 WaveLAN Silver 11MB card arrived today from OWC.
http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_Item.cfm?ID=4112&Item=LUC012372A

I installed the WaveLanDrive in my MP2100 and the card was recognized and
the Dock attempted to browse for the network...however, it couldn't see my
computer-to-computer network I established on my G4 Desktop running OS X.

However, all is not lost. I also have a TiBook (PowerBook) G4 laptop. I had
an airport card in it but with the titanium case the effective range of the
airport was terrible. I pulled the airport card and inserted the WaveLAN. OS
X did NOT recognize it...so...I searched the internet and there are open
source drivers written to support the card. Cool...gotta love this open
source stuff and OS X. The drivers are available at:
http://wirelessdriver.sourceforge.net/

I installed the driver, reboot OS X, loaded preferences and the new network
card was detected. I set it up and it worked flawlessly. The range on this
card with the TiBook is easily double of what it was when using the airport
card. I am one happy camper!

Now, if I could just get the WaveLAN to work with the MP2100 and connect to
the base station, I could surf the net from anywhere in (or out) of the
house using the Newton...

Donald Ryan