Re: [NTLK] OT Please Ban Bigots

From: good-dog_at_northshore.net
Date: Sun Feb 10 2002 - 11:04:33 EST

eric engle wrote:

> This list has proven recently that bigots can indeed
> type. I had hoped HWR would slow them down. Alas, it
> appears that they can even use a stylus.

Many people who have different views than yourself are just as
intelligent as you is and just as nimble with their little fingers. A
common misconception among people who consider themselves to be
Politically/Spiritually Correct is that they have achieved some
enlightened state of being that places them above others. This happens
usually by association and not by any real thought. They want to be
associated with what is just, good, compassionate, etc., not unlike
those who jumped on the bandwagon for many a lynching. The structure is
still the same.

What is most amusing about people who want to ban bigots or who can't
stand bigots, is that they are being just as bigoted toward the alleged
bigot as they perceive the bigot is towards (fill in the blank).

Mr. Templar apologized. I would think in your enlightened state of
not being a bigot, you would have the flexibility to appreciate that. We
all make some really huge, stupid mistakes in our lives. I've made
plenty.

Personally, I think you may want to review whether you truly believe in
freedom or not. If you do, fine. If you don't, fine, too. Each to their
own. Just realize that if you try to take others freedom away from them
or compromise it in some way, you'll likely get creamed. Be careful.

However if the trolls keep
> breeding and spawning then I shall have to leave this
> list. Screening through 90 per cent off topic content
> is not my idea of a good use of my time.

When you talk about 'trolls' you might as well be saying 'chink',
'nigger', 'gook', 'redskin', (what are some other good ones, folks?),
and it serves to dehumanize the actual person you're talking about.
It's a common device used in war propoganda. Such words and phrases
makes it easier to kill the enemy because they are no longer looked at
as being a human being. If they're just 'rag-heads' or 'japs' or
'weinerbusters', they become a computer game enemy, not real, even
though they bleed and die like everyone else. Is it truly any less
bigoted to say 'troll' than 'kike' or 'white trash' or 'spick'? How is
this different than what you're complaining about? Hating bigots is
cool, but hating 'white trash' or 'pakis' is not.

On the flip side, The Trolls may see you as a dictatorial, freedom-hater
in the guise of a new-age, whiney, goody-two shoes, who wants a 'free',
'modern', and 'wonderful' world of only the same people. Mr. Hilter(his
running mate was a Mr. Hilmer, was it not? Correct me if need be), who
ran for an office in England after WWII, had similar views about a
wonderful world, all neat and orderly, populated by only Good Germans
who all looked and thought alike. The text of the 1984 Apple tv
commercial is appropriate here.

Compromising freedom for convenience is another topic you may want to
examine. Consider this thought from Benjamin Franklin:

They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security,
deserve neither liberty or security.

If you leave the list, most people will probably not miss you. This is
not an insult, but just the nature of things. Taking your newton and
going home is your choice. People here will continue to play.

Sushi said it best. I suggest rereading the post FOOD FOR THOUGHT. This
person understands the principles of freedom and liberty, and the post
is elegant and makes mine look like dirt. I defer.

Y'all have a great Sunday, or whatever day where ever you are. ;-)>

Mark