Re: [NTLK] Dialing with the Newt

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Feb 12 2002 - 00:59:33 EST

One of the interesting things I found different with
European phone systems is that the dialtone is not a
true sine wave. I discovered this quite by accident
while trying to use my Newt in Germany using an AT&T
KeepInTouch modem card with a German telephone
connection. Seems that the modem card was too picky as
to the dialtone and would not initiate an on-hook
status in order to allow the Newton to dial out. A
local hobbiest with an O-scope helped me find the
problem. (that would be something...an o-scope
captureing program for the Newt!) I was able to thwart
the problem with an AT command (or was it an "S"
setting?) This problem was also discovered in those
dial-tone generators designed for cellphones. (tellabs
and tellular, and Motorola all had the dial-tone
fakeout boxes to imitate a dial-tone)
Just a head's up...bring the manual to your modem just
in case!
Ed
web/gadget guru
come and see my Newt on the web (well, mostly) at:
http://65.84.243.167

--- Victor Rehorst <victor_at_newtontalk.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Feb 2002, Filmer, Paul E. wrote:
>
> > Other sound issues come from the Australian (and
> NZ?) locale and local laws
> > regarding use of tones by non-telco-owned devices.
> These can be overcome,
> > but I'm not current on how that was done.
>
> For the Newton, just change the Country settings in
> Prefs. :)
>
> --
> Victor Rehorst - victor_at_newtontalk.net -

=====
- The Powerpuff Girls -