Re: [NTLK] 20th Anniversary Mac <=> Newton <=> PowerBook G3

From: John Del Pizzo (jdpizzo_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Feb 18 2002 - 10:39:23 EST

On 2/18/02 3:36 AM, "Ermin Mistica" <angel316_at_earthlink.net> so eloquently
stated:

> Does anyone out there connect their Newton to a 20th Anniversary Macintosh
> and if so, have you experienced any problems? Do you use serial or the
> Ethernet connection?

Ermin,

I have a TAM and use both serial and ethernet connections. I prefer ethernet
b/c it is SO MUCH faster. I've also found the ethernet connections to be
more stable than it's serial counterpart. Check out the Newton FAQ for
details on which ethernet cards work with your Newton and what software
you'll need.

> Also, slightly off topic, anyone out there have a 20th Anniversary Macintosh
> AND a PowerBook G3 FW (aka Pismo)? How do you network the two?

I had a Pismo and now use a 500Mhz TiBook. Most of my computers are
networked through a Linksys Cable/DSL Router. This works really well. If
you're going to connect your TAM directly to your Pismo, I think you'll need
a crossover cable.

> I'm trying to think of the best way to Ne(w)twork the three and somehow
> connect those guys to a Compaq Presario Laptop (the Blacksheep in the
> family).

Get a router. They're cheap and make life (and sharing internet connections)
pretty easy.

> My main concern is just connecting the MP 2100 to the TAM and making sure my
> information is safe and secure between that and any three of the computers.

Serial will work fine, but ethernet is better (IMHO). Feel free to contact
me directly if you have any questions.

John