Re: [NTLK] Turning pkgs into books?

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Feb 18 2002 - 22:55:27 EST

I use two book makers for the Newt.
1) paperback: This is great for making compact books
that don't need bookmarking but may need font
changing. I use Paperback when I don't want to spend
the time indexing the book
2) Newton Press: This is the best to use when creating
indexed books. A great example of this is my book
"ServerCodes.pkg"
(http://newton.tek-ed.com/books/ServerCodes.PKG) Each
code is listed and indexed to a part of the book that
explains the code you are looking at.
The Newton books for the Underground are in both
formats. I created a Newton Press for the split
versions (don't know why, but I already had it open at
the time) and the complete book is in Press format. I
did that because the book is so huge, I couldn't get
it to load completly. I eventually just split it into
two parts and took it that way.

Unfortunatly, the underground book in the complete
format cannot be viewed as a true Newton book. The
reader is built in and it can only be used as is. The
advantage is that you can change the font to what ever
you have installed and the book takes up the entire
screen, regardless of your Newt and orientation! The
bad part is that it is not indexed and you cannot save
bookmarks. But the book will pick up from where you
left off...but if you reset your Newt often, it will
loose your space.
Ed
web/gadget guru
come and see my Newt on the web (well, mostly) at:
http://65.84.243.167

--- Bradford Schmidt <brad_at_jojoro.com> wrote:

> Hey folks,
>
> I recently grabbed a copy of underground from Ed's
> site, but when I look at=
> the package on the Newt it does not show it as a
> book. I can read it, but=
> cannot go to a page or book mark it.
>
> I have 4 questions:
>
> 1 - What am I reading it with that doesn't have the
> option to bookmark, but=
> does have the option to change the font? It has a
> little horizontal=
> scrollbar at the bottom.
>
> 2 - How can I get it to read as a book?
>
> 3 - Are there other book readers out there that work
> on the Newt?
>
> 4 - Is there any particular reason that I cannot
> change font size in an=
> actual newton book?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Brad