Re: [NTLK] Turning pkgs into books?

From: Steve Weyer (weyer_at_kagi.com)
Date: Wed Feb 20 2002 - 18:44:53 EST

> Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 08:36:45 -0800
> From: newton2k <newton2k_at_mac.com>
>
> this thread is kinda interesting to me since i want to try creating my
> own book-pkg. my source document is all in plain-text, which is kinda
> easy to transform, but i would like to be able to italicise/bold certain
> phrases/paragraphs in the text. can i do this with paperback? im a bit
> leery about using newton press since ive had horrible stability problems
> with it on my mac (to the point, that i use the pc-version, under
> virtual pc, the few times ive had to use it).
>
> isnt there some way to 'markup' the plain-text so that paperback will
> interpret the 'tags' and create the required bold/italics? i seem to
> remember reading something like this on the web a long time ago, but i
> cannot find the link anymore. maybe it wasnt a paperback-specific
> feature, but some other software? does anyone have any ideas?

Newt's Cape uses HTML for markup and creates Newton books (like Press and
Bookmaker) -- which are different from Paperback format/reader.

typographic font changes <I>, <B>, <FONT> etc. as well as
idiomatic styles: <EM>, <STRONG>, etc. headings <H1>...<H6> map to table of
contents overview. links within/between books, tables, ...

you can change font (name,size) preferences for major tags <P>, <H1>,...
and re-create the book dynamically on Newton from the source.

--
Steve
  weyer_at_kagi.com