Re: [NTLK] Appletalk over Ethernet to Basilisk on Linux (and through)

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Thu Feb 21 2002 - 13:26:28 EST

On 21/02/02 12:46, "Jim Anderson" <jiman_at_microsoft.com> wrote:

> Sorry about the subject line, I couldn't resist...
>
> Anyway, I got Appletalk over Ethernet working on Basilisk last
> night (hooray! I can now transfer packages from NTK while keeping the
> inspector open!), so I tried making a backup with NCU. I can backup my
> internal store just fine, but when I try backing up the contents of my
> 32MB card NCU disconnects right at the end. I have plenty of space on
> the disk image I'm backing up to, and plenty of memory (I have Basilisk
> set with 80MB of memory).
> The error I get is a "communications error (-1). When I examine
> the backup file it produces (backing up both internal and the card), it
> appears to be just a backup of the internal store (i.e. it doesn't seem
> to crap out while writing the backup file). I compared this file with
> one produced by just backing up the internal store, and they are
> identically sized.
>
> Has anyone run into this in Basilisk before? It seems from other
> folks on the list that so long as you have more than twice the memory as
> the store you're backing up you should be fine. Or is there some other
> Mac-ish setting within MacOS to reserve memory for an application that I
> should set?

Jim,

I'm not sure I understand what you mean when you say that you have Basilisk
set with 80MB of memory. On the old Mac OS, you have to specifically set the
amount of memory that any application will use. This is done *INSIDE* the
Mac OS, at the Finder. You basically click once on an application (not a
file or document) and then choose "Show Info". There is a default amount of
memory set, but for NCU, you might want to increase it. IIRC, the default
amount of memory set for NCU is 4 MB. Then, if you want to backup a 32 MB
card, you should set it to at least 36 MB of RAM. I've read people here say
to set it to twice the size of the card you want to back up, and while this
would usually be safe, you don't have to set aside such amount of memory.
I've never had any problem backing up any card using that simple rule.

Now, back to your problem, I must say that I've seen in the past a -1
communication error. You will need to check if the error always happens at
the same place. Check carefully what NCU is doing when the error is
happening. If it always happens at the same place, some corruption within
what NCU is trying to back up may choke NCU. I've seen it in the past with
large notes in the notepad that I had created with BigNote from Standalone.
From what I understand from the backup process, NCU doesn't merely dump the
stream of data from the Newton into a file on the disk, but seems to somehow
"process" those info coming in, so that if it finds something odd, it may
fails.

If, OTOH, the error doesn't always happen at the same place, then I would
imagine that not enough memory was allocated to NCU, or there is something
on your system that is causing interference with your connection.

-Laurent.

careware /keir'weir/ n.: A variety of shareware for which either the author
suggests that some payment be made to a nominated charity or a levy directed
to charity is included on top of the distribution charge. Syn. charityware;
compare crippleware, sense 2.