[NTLK] More Wireless Questions (only slightly OT)

From: Jonathan Wise (jonwise_at_mac.com)
Date: Thu Feb 21 2002 - 15:14:09 EST

OK, So I wanna get my laptop and Newton on a wireless network. I've skimmed
the posts and it looks like there *are* 802.11b NICs available for the Newt.
My question is: do you *need* a WAP, or can you go peer-to-peer?
What I'm think for architecture is to drop a wireless NIC in my laptop, one
in my desktop, and one in my Newton. My desktop is already set-up as a
router so that's not the issue. What I'm interested in, is can my desktop
"spawn" a Network, plus handle requests from two other wireless nodes
without the aid of a wireless access point?
The guys at Future Shop seem to think it's possible but not reliable.
However, they aren't always that reliable ;)
Anyone with experience in this, or at least knowledge of this?

Jonathan