Re: [NTLK] iWalk is a good thing

From: Oliver Brose (oliver.brose_at_t-online.de)
Date: Fri Jan 04 2002 - 06:50:33 EST

> From: <aaron.hill_at_au.pwcglobal.com>
> Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2002 16:52:21 +1000
> Subject: Re: [NTLK] iWalk is a good thing
>
> And the killer point about that is with all the PDA/handhelds currently on
> the market from all kinds of manufacturers with all kinds of features and
> at a wide range of price points just the rumour that Apple is about to come
> back into the market is enough to make a considerable stir. It speaks
> volumes for the quality of the Message Pads, for Apple and their products
> in general. People want an Apple product, no-one else does it like they do.
> I've heard the reports of what Steve Jobs and other Apple executives have
> said about Apple not making another PDA and even if that's what they
> currently think how long can they ignore a potential market like this? They
> told us when they axed the Message Pad that the product would be back and
> I'm waiting for them to come good on that.
> I own a MP110 and a MP2000u, and the day Apple releases their next
> PDA/handheld I'll put my money down for that too. I don't want a Palm, a
> Visor, a iPaq, a Yopy or any of the rest - I want an Apple and there'd be
> plenty more people like me out there too, whether they know it now or not.

Aaron, I'm absolutely with you.
Open any given article about PDAs today, it will tell you "the market is
saturated", "sales going down", etc. - and why is that the case?
Because anything sold by the major players just sucks! And I mean "suck" on
singularity-level!
Those "PDAs" are still datebooks, and they are now morphing into smartphones
(see Handspring TREO with keyboard - *that's nice!* I'd buy it!) with eMail,
because that's what they are good for.
It's not innovation if my datebook plays MP3s.
I can't imagine any person getting actual work done with one of these, not
if that work has anything to do with writing or text.
There is an iPaq commercial with the smart manager-girl, who tells the Guy
where to store the crates in the already full room, as her iPaq tells here -
but she's holding the iPaq at about arms length - ha! I'm 22 and have great
sight, I still can't see anything on an iPaq at arms length!

What I'm saying is that what's on the market now lacks uses, OS-elegance and
screensize. The industry needs Apple to lead the way. Look at all the
hub-hub-hipe that rages through the web *weeks* before Macworld. This does
not happen with any other computer company. If Handspring or Palm announce a
new PDA, everybody's impressed because of the sleek new design of the case,
no one is exited about any new *features*, and nobody would be loosing sleep
about it weeks ahead. People get so exited about Apple's products because
they know that they will get the best possible device, and that Apple would
not crank out something inferior just to be in a market.

Oliver :)

--
You can take my Mac...
when you pry my cold dead fingers off the mouse!