[NTLK] [OT] Antiques [Was: iWalk is a good thing]

From: Grant [What Rumors] Hutchinson (grant_at_splorp.com)
Date: Sun Jan 06 2002 - 21:27:53 EST

In a previous message, David Brown typed vigorously:

>Yet 100 years from now, the devices introduced tomorrow will be just like
>current 100 year old antiques! Old and lame. Heck even a 128 Mac is that
>way now compared to the current ones.

I would have to disagree that a 128k is old and lame when compared to
current Macs (or any other "modern" operating system. I would argue that
the original Mac user interface is cleaner, easier to use, and quite
frankly, minimalistically elegant compared to many current GUIs including
OS X. Antiquity and lameness are really relative to the perceived (and
original) function of the device. A 128k with MacPaint and MacWrite is
still one of the best examples of simple, user-centered, and streamlined
usability in regards to what the device was meant to do. The Newton fits
into this theme the same way. Compared to OS X, the Newton GUI is quaint
and simplistic by comparison. But it is also very well suited for what it
was intended to do.

Maybe I'm rambling, but I really object to any out of vogue technology
being referred to as "old and lame". That's just bowing out to the
overactive hype of the corporate marketing machine, the whole concept of
the throw-away society, and the instant consumer-based economy.

So there.

g.

Grant Hutchinson Interface Considerations & Toys

Live video served fresh since 1996. http://www.splorp.com/cam/
Now fortified with daily ramblings. http://www.splorp.com/blog/
Newton. It's the Palm with a brain. http://www.splorp.com/newton/