[NTLK] Re - Needs

From: Frank Gruendel (Frank_Gruendel_at_t-online.de)
Date: Wed Jan 09 2002 - 18:58:57 EST

> As you say, our
> needs are different. Someone who only wants to check email doesn't need
> the top-of-the-line model (whatever it may be that month) whereas some
> people (like you?) need more than top-of-the-line can provide.

The problem is that even the same person's needs are different. My
Pentium I 133 MHz 64 MB Ram is more than sufficient for doing email
and browsing the web occasionally. While working on text, it can accept
characters way faster than I will ever be able to type them. Which it
has in common with my very first computer, a 2 MHz Z80 8 bit computer
with 64 kB Ram that I bought in parts (well, those parts at least that I
wasn't
able to salvage from broken TV sets) and soldered in the cellar of the guy
who now is my father-in-law.
Running Fusion 5 for Website work on the afore mentioned PC is, well, not
exactly fun, but I've always been renowned for my patience.
Searching all 1400 pages of the Newton Programmer's Reference in Acrobat
Reader format is something that always makes me want to bang my head
against the monitor. There are few things I hate more than having to wait
for information I need for my work while I try to DO my work.
This alone (well, maybe along with the fact that the backup battery has
been dead for a couple of months and the PC never keeps time and date
anymore) would make me buy the newest and
fastest PC available these days without hesitation.
If only I wasn't sure that most likely I wouldn't
be able to run the Newton Toolkit on this machine without various
instances of SlowDown.exe.
If only I wasn't sure that half of my software wouldn't run on the OS
that'd come with that machine. If only I wasn't sure my Windows95 wouldn't
run on the new PC the way it runs on the old one. If only I wasn't sure that
it would take weeks until everything that works now (albeit slow)
finally works again. Provided that this is possible at all, that is.
And the soundcard I spent heaps of money on because I
wanted the things I compose to sound like music and not like a christmas
greeting card would be history as it isn't even a PCI card.
And... and... and...
...and, after all, who needs a backup battery in the first place. Putting
Time&Date in the startup folder forces me to set both whenever I boot
the PC which is surprisingly easy to get used to.
Ask me again in three years. Probably I will still work on the same PC.
Unless, of course, a splinter from the finally shattered monitor tube
has put my life to an end while I was trying to finish BattLog.

Frank

PS If you are absolutely sure you can stand it, ask me about how I
tried to hook up my zip drive to this PC (after hooking it up to the
Mac took around 3 minutes).

Newton software and hardware stuff at www.pda-soft.de